Saturday 31 January 2009

Mistress of Pain ....or....Just Pure Evil!

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), also sometimes called muscle fever, is the pain or discomfort often felt 24 to 72 hours after exercising and subsides generally within 2 to 3 days. It is frequently said to be caused by lactic acid buildup;[citation needed] however, since lactic acid disperses fairly rapidly, it could not explain pain experienced days after exercise, and some concentric-only exercises produce lactic acid, but rarely produce DOMS.

Although the precise cause is still unknown, the type of muscle contraction seems to be a key factor in the development of DOMS. Exercises that involve many eccentric contractions, such as downhill running, will result in the most severe DOMS. This has been shown to be the result of more muscle cell damage than is seen with typical concentric contractions, in which a muscle successfully shortens during contraction against a load.

Some research claims that DOMS is not caused by the pain from damaged muscle cells, but from the reinforcement process. The muscle responds to training by reinforcing itself up to and above its previous strength by increasing the size of muscle fibers (muscle hypertrophy). This reinforcement process causes the cells to swell in their compartment and put pressure on nerves and arteries producing pain.



Meet "Cruella" aka "Mistress of Pain" aka "The Coach"

Man what a nasty piece of work. Did the famous 6-12-25's that Lisa often talks about. The coach decides just because it is my birthday that I should do a 'Denial Workout'. I am so so so so so so so so sore! I can not begin to explain how hard this training is. I felt slightly upset with myself as I did not finish the third set of the first set - missed about 10 1 and quarter squats. Training was yesterday afternoon, I suffered delayed latic nausea that night. Then got roped into bootcamp this morning, lugging tyres, jumpsquats (another evil woman), pushups, running and boxing. then decided to go for a walk to try and loosen up. Well guess what, the loosening up didn't work! I am stuck in my chair atm, not know how the hell I will be getting out of it to go to bed. So what is going through my head atm..............well what name to call the coach! Evil, nasty, cruel, biatch! What a way to spend your birthday! Doh! No but all kidding aside I enjoyed every minute of training, yesterday and today.

Also had a fantastic day with a lot of girlfriends having lunch on the gold coast - got a bit noisy with 12 people drinking wine, I should say 12 girls drinking wine! he he he he. I am a very spoilt person, having so many people so caring. The best!

What can I say of late, I know I have not been blogging of late, but all good, all well and enjoying it. Nothing really new, just having a fantastic time.

Ciao!

3 comments:

ss2306 said...

Pure Evil I say Dori - Bitch also comes to mind (LOL)!

My hamstrings are still hating Coach this morning and that was from last Thursday and it's now Sunday.

Isn't it nice though to get that push that you'd otherwise given up on. Thank God I'm now finished with 6-12-25's. I did it every workout for 4 weeks!

So glad you're having a fantastic time and also a fantastic day yesterday.

Keep up the great work. You're well and truly on your way to "your dream".

SeLiNa said...

Hey Dori!! Hope you got my facebook message yesterday :)
And forget that cake, I'll just have the 'waitor' thanks!!!!!!
I've been assigned the 6-12-25s, and OMG, I have been so unbelievably sore. I'm hearing ya sister!! ;) Hearing all this pain you and Carolyn have been though, maybe it's a good thing I didn't get to train with the boss after all (due to my 'unfortunate' incident at the start of the year!!) Hey, and thanks again for all your support and kindness during all the bullshit.
*mwah*

Doris's BEHAG journey said...

Hey Shelley

She is one evil woman! I had trouble sleeping last night and then today, did some cleaning and walking around doing shopping and my legs have started to throb!

Hey Selina, Babe, you are doing just great and yep you are so lucky that you didn't get time with that evil person!!! The pain, oh the pain. But here is the funny part, I just bought myself a kettle ball so that I have all the right tools to do it again this week. So funny, I am going to the gym with my own equipment. hehehehe.