Tuesday 10 February 2009

Welcome to my world!

Symptoms of peri-menopause
In the lead up to menopause (peri-menopause refers to 1 year before and 1 year after the last period), periods start to do all sorts of things, they may get heavier or lighter, last longer or get shorter in duration, they may start and stop, and they may no longer happen at regular intervals. Usually these changes seem to happen about 2 years before the last period occurs.

As ovulation may still be happening until that 12 months after your last period, it is probably best not to assume that you have had the last period until the 12 months is up. Therefore you may need to ensure that your method of contraception is reliable until the end if you do not wish to get pregnant.

It's important to remember that not everything that happens around the time of menopause is menopause.

Physical Changes During Menopause
In the menstrual cycle there are three main players which are the brain, the ovaries and the uterus.

When the the ovaries go into retirement at menopause, it may take the brain some time to adjust to the fact that the ovaries are not responding in their customary hormonal tango.

The brain is still sending out its hormonal messengers but is not getting the required response from the ovaries. All this time however, the hormones are still stimulating chemical (and therefore physical and emotional) reactions in the womans body and this may be a major factor in all the symptoms and difficulties that some women have in adjusting at this time.

How a woman copes with menopause depends on her genetic heritage (so how did your mum, grandmother, and aunts cope?), physical environment, and emotional and spiritual outlook, attitude and support.

A woman may be coping just fine, but if she experiences crises in other areas (with her partner, job, children, teenagers) of her life, the added stress may compound and increase her menopausal distress. All these outside factors affect the female hormones and therfore affect the menopause experience.

Common Menopausal Experiences

hot flushes / falshes which can be on any part of the body at any time of the day or night at any frequency.
night sweats
restless legs
insomnia
headaches / or migraines that get worse
palpitations
anxiety/ panic attacks
mood swings
irritability
depression (can exacebate normal predisposition to depression)
altered memory or concentration
"Just not Coping" or "Am I going mad Doctor?"
Fatigue
Loss of or reduced or sometimes increased libido/sex drive
vaginal changes (drier or pain during sex)
breast tenderness
bloating and swelling

BUT this is nothing compared to the lives that are being lost down south and up north for that matter. I had a massive cry last night, which actually helped me with a slight depressive state I was in on the weekend. So need the cry. Nothing like realising there are so many more so much worse off that you and your peri-menopausal state. Everytime I take one step forward, I always seem to be three steps back. But will not give up.

I am giving blood tomorrow to the Red Cross as I have a rarer type of blood. The beauty of my blood group, we can accept any type blood, but unfortunately only the same blood group can accept mine. My type is 3% of the population. I am also going to get all employees from my company to donate some of their wages next for the Victorian Fire.

Do you know what drives me nuts atm, people who smoke and throw their cigarette butts out the window. What is with that? As a non smoker, I really don't understand, and when I asked someone, they said because it stinks out the car. What the??? Why smoke in the first place. I am not judging anyone who smokes, but could you please keep your butts in the car, instead of throwing it out on the ground. Be more aware of your environment.

I think I had better go now before I upset someone.

Ciao!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think I'm there mate, hate it. Won't ask hoe old you are ....

Doris's BEHAG journey said...

No worries about asking how old...........just turned 43! a baby!

Louise Wedgwood said...

I called to make a blood donation appointment last week and they were very heavily booked up - which is great!

Throwing cigarette butts on the ground is disgusting too. How hard is it too hang on til you walk past a bin? (Or carry one of those butt disposal containers)