Sunday 28 September 2008

Comments that inadvertly can hurt?

I was thinking about the conversations yesterday from our table at the ANB, and there were a lot of comments about some of the competitors that sort of struck me as very hurtful - like 'tuckshop lady arms' and too soft and flabby! You know what, I think they are all heroes for getting up there in the first place. I know I think too much, but then I got to thinking, is that going to be the comments if and when I get up on stage. Due to size I am, I know I will have excess skin issues for a long while till they eventually disappear (if they do) - am I going to warrant comments like that too! Not to mention stretch marks! How am I going to hide those imperfections??? Certainly a de-motivator at the best of times.



People should never cast comments like that, nor any comments at all, because they don't know what is going on in the lives of the others. Remember it is their journey, not yours. What often distinguishes hurt from other emotions is the sense of vunerability, and that is what I am feeling right now. Why do I want to set myself up for comments like these when I jump on stage!!! You know, you work so hard at times in your journey, and then you get a knock for six with a totally unrelated issue such as this. Logically, I know that this should not affect me and I do have the support of friends, but when it is people you know who say these comments, you start to wonder what is actually said when you are not around??? hmmm! Human nature is repetitive, and inadvertedly we always do the same thing over and over, even without realising it. And I know that my friends will say they never say that about me, hey I am no perfect person either and have been known to say somethings, but I do think about it later and think to myself, well you know what, that is stupid and try not to go down that path again.

On another note, I would like to congradulate one competitor in particular yesterday and that was the poor sports model entrant. Now she had no competition, but still went out there and did her stuff. She was not as young as the usual entrants you see at most comps, but she did her thing and that she should be so proud of. Well done.

Emotions are crappy things, especially when they get so mixed up ATM, but one foot in front of the other is always a good thing. I am alive, I am healthy albeit overweight, and I enjoy life, good food, good wine and good company! And I am strong!

Long Live Fitness

Ciao!

4 comments:

LizN said...

Hey Dori,

It was great to meet you yesterday. Having been in a position where I lost a lot of weight initially to come and compete on stage, I understand where you're coming from.

The next step is to have the self belief that you can achieve anything you want to. I have no doubt that you can if you really want it.

Hugs
Liz;)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic post Dori, its hard isnt it when you hear stuff like that and the old phrase about people in glass houses comes to mind.

You aren't the only one out there with a bit of extra weight but like you, I have the motivation and determination to get where I want to go.

LJ
xoxox

Tara said...

I believe in Karma. I try and watch what I say and do because when Karma comes a knocking she packs a powerful punch!! but having said that, I myself have been guilty at times of passing judgement. But only from a critical point of view, such as some of the girls esp the little physique ones had very little muscle at all and then there are some figure girls that have not changed at all in the past year.

At the end of the day, you hold your head up high and know that you have given it your all. you will always have ppl that will knock. it is human nature unfortunately. I am sure that i had ppl comment on parts of my body that can be improved, if i had heard it i would have probably smacked them in the head though, haha lol enough said, going to go and hide under a rock now.

Have a great week Doris, looking forward to seeing you this weekend.

Tara xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Doris, again, I think you and I are coming from the same place. I am so healthy, but I'm overweight. I have a PT online and I am determined to lose the excess weight, not because society says I'm a fat slob, but because I want to do this for me. That is where it comes from, your heart. Who cares about tuck shop arms? I do. But I actually have them, those girls on stage don't - compared to the general population. Just remember there are a lot of figure competitors that started as overweight ladies. They had a long, hard journey to where they are, and as far as I'm concerned if they got up on stage and weren't 'quite as cut as they should be' Goddamit they got up there. For them it was a part of their journey, who are 'we'(the general figure ompetitors and general public et. al.) to criticise?

I have no desire to compete, I'm 46 years old and my main concern right now is getting to a heathy body weight. However, if I could compete, just once..... I would do physique not figure as that would suit my body shape - short, and full of muscle - under the fat atm of course.